Cozy Firefighter Pattern (PDF) - Knitting Pattern by Phibersmith Designs
Also available as a kit in the larger size
Can you feel the heat? Of course not, it’s freezing outside! But your little firefighter isn’t feeling the cold either, thanks to this adorable knitted helmet, complete with earflaps and chin strap for extra protection against the elements. The yarn is a soft superwash, easy on delicate skin, and easy to toss in the washer as needed. The appliqué shield can be customized to your firefighter’s specifications.
The hat is knit in one piece. The brim is picked up and knit around the circumference of the hat. The shield is knit separately and sewn in place. Pattern includes charts where necessary and full written instructions.
Smaller size is knit with sportweight yarn and smaller needles. Larger size is knit with worsted weight yarn and larger needles.
- 2-3 years (Head circ. 17-19")
- 4-5 years (Head circ. 20-22")
Tools & Materials
- Size 2-3 years: Yarn: Sport weight (Cascade 220 Superwash Sport, 50g = 136 yds/ 125 m); Needles: US Size 6 - 4mm; Gauge: 20 sts & 28 rows = 4”/10cm in Knit/Garter rib pattern, blocked.
- Size 4-5 years:Yarn: Worsted weight (Cascade 220 Superwash, 100g = 220 yds/ 200m); Needles: US Size 8 - 5mm; Gauge: 18 sts & 23 rows = 4"/10cm in Knit/Garter rib pattern, blocked.
- Picking up stitches through purled row
- Kitchener Stitch
- Hemmed edge
- I-cord cast-off
- Small amount of stranded colourwork
Stitches Used (beyond K & P)
- K in st below
Pattern includes full list of abbreviations.