In April, Yarn Club welcomed one of its members, Katherine Matthews, the artist and designer behind Purl Diving, the Guelph-based and -inspired yarn line.
For the meeting, Katherine designed and dyed a custom colourway based on Emily Carr's painting Big Raven, based on a Yarn Club member vote of Canadian paintings.[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="600"] Big Raven by Emily Carr (1931)[/caption]
To achieve the colourway that she was satisfied with, Katherine went through many iterations, fine tuning her colours with each new batch:
During her talk, Katherine shared some great online resources for finding your own colour inspirations, and becoming more adept at interpreting and working with colour:
- Design Seeds – A collection of colour schemes and explorations created by designer Jessica Colaluca
- Coolors – free colour generator
- Color Schemer – Twitter account for automated colour scheme creating bot
- KLC School of Design’s “Power of Colour” MOOC at FutureLearn – a free online colour course (runs regularly)
- Pantone – The world renowned authority on colour, colour predictions by season for the Western world.
- Asian Paints Colour Next 2017 – Colour authority and predictions for Asia